Being active is my new addiction
 |
| Urban Workout. Photo courtesy: UW |
Mentioning all that diversity of activities in the previous post, I really I can’t stay motionless in Mazatlan. Es no posible (It’s just not possible)…like the ocean which is constantly in the move, so am I. I decided to live an active life here in Mazatlan ….and this mostly comes down to sports and being in the move most of the time. I have to confess that I have been doing the best thing for myself ever and I am fully enjoying it. Not forcing it at all, just going with the flow.
 |
Workout with my friends, El Faro
|
 |
| Night hiking up to the Tower hill |
I was lucky enough because my friend Vanessa, a girl from Barcelona who is doing her Post-doc studies at UNAM, was really kind and borrowed me her old bicycle. Definitely, this bici is not bored with me at all, I am using it for getting to Malecon every day for watching the sunset after work and also biking from Playa Sur to Valentinos and back which is about 20km. A good training with great views along the way. The sunsets are priceless.
 |
| Saturday biking trip, me and Jasmine |
Actually I bike or walk to my work every day, depending how I feel. I have been successfully avoiding public transports like in other places where I lived before, for example in Perth – Australia, Plymouth - UK, Faro - Portugal, Galway – Ireland. To be honest, I went few times in the bus at the very beginning and those were some crazy drives, therefore I am glad I get to and from the work on my own. It’s not far at all and the way is rather enjoyable, passing through the streets of Playa Sur, greeting familiar people, waving pulmonias or bus drivers while competing who is faster, watching the waves or the fishermen catching the fish on the corridor close to the UNAM institute. I would have missed out on so many things if I didn’t use my feet or bici. Still with the bike, after my experience with Perruta mountain biking I sometimes go for trips on Saturday within our University group and it’s around 50km biking routes.
 |
| Mi amiga Vane |
About a month ago me and my friend Lalo joint Urban Workout group in Mazatlan, a great physical fitness just next to the sea at the price which is affordable for a wide range of people (10 pesos – less than euro). My first time was a huge load for me. I guess I kept saying: “No way”, “no more”…”I want to go home”. I was so much in pain! Our trainer just kept telling us “Venga, venga venga”all I wish was his counting approached the number 1. After several weeks of a regular morning wakes up (5am) and exercises I feel much better and it doesn’t hurt so much as at the beginning if at all. I love this morning workouts and can’t imagine a day without it. As our trainer Jesus call us, we are warriors!! NO PAIN NO GAIN, jeje. Now every morning I am looking forward to meeting my urban workout family :)The exercises themselves are being done in a beautiful environment, on playa Norte, which is also a great place for swimming. Therefore, during the week, in the morning I combine the urban workout with the swimming! It makes me relaxed, totally perfect for relieving my muscles. When I want a break I just make myself float on the surface. Often there are jumping fish around or the pelicans which fly so close above the surface that I could almost touch them.

 |
| Volleyball "Plancton" team |
|
Fridays evenings belongs to volleyball! The best way how to finish the week is to spend the rest of the energy on this game. Always lots of fun and in a company of great great people. I think I never liked volleyball so much in my life as now. Back in High School, we used to play quite a lot, but I was not good at it and the competitive environment just lowered my confidence. On the opposite, here it’s very relaxed with lots of good laughs (eventhough many times I have no clue what they are laughing at, unless I see it, well I laugh anyway). We are one big volleyball family!
 |
| A bit of salsa dancing |
Some of you might be asking where is the „dancing” listed in this busy schedule. When I lived in Galway, Ireland I was literally addicted to latino music and went dancing salsa, bachata, merengue almost every single Wednesday (live band) and Fridays. Jejeje, I really miss our “Krcma” pub, yes a Slovak pub in Ireland with Slovak/Czech employees, great beers but hot latino nights on Fridays with Dj Matt. (Hola to my Venezuelan friends Edward, Dairo, Abrahan and Paula, my South Korean friend John, to Gavin, free spirit man Garry and my dear Mechtilde). I thought I would be dancing like crazy over here but so far I only managed few salsa dancing classes with a friend of mine (muchas gracias Rafael) and I tried the local banda and cumbia dances during the Carnaval week.
Mexicans are obsessed with the football and probably every little boy dreams of becoming a football player when he grows up. Recently I took the challenge of joining the ethusiasm for this game as well. I play very “friendly” but painful football on the beach con mis muchachos de el lab (with my boys from the lab). Although we don’t have a real playground and enough players, definitely it belongs to the category of sport activities. And what can be better than enjoying the game on the beach?



I am curious what more I am going to participate in or what more challenges I will take…I am open to ideas. Being active in my life feels really good especially when I make sure the fun is included!
0 komentářů: